Header Graphic

  • Area Agency on Aging: Some Area Agencies on Aging use funds from the Older Americans Act Title III to  modify homes. To locate the Area Agency on Aging in your community, call the Eldercare Locator at (800) 677-1116 or visit www.n4a.org.

  • Department of Housing and Community Development: Many cities and towns use Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) to help maintain and upgrade homes. Contact the local Department for more information. A listing of Housing and Community Development Agencies can be found by visiting www.nahro.org/reference/internethousing.cfm or calling the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials at toll free (877) 866-2476.

  • Federal Housing Administration (FHA): The FHA, which is part of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), administers mortgage insurance programs (e.g., Title 1 and Section 203(k)) that can help homebuyers and homeowners secure loans to make home modifications. For more information, contact the regional HUD field office listed in the telephone directory, visit www.dtinational.org/training/hudinfo/hudoffices.asp or call (202) 708-1112. The local FHA-lender can be found by visiting www.hud.gov/ll/code/llplcrit.html.

  • Health Insurance: Some private health insurance and long term care insurance plans also pay for limited home modifications. Check with your insurance provider

  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS): If the home modifications meet certain conditions, they may be tax deductible. Part of the expense of installing lifts, tubs or showers may be deductible if they increase the resale value of the property and have been prescribed as medically necessary. Consult a tax professional and order a free copy of IRS Publication 502 for more information. Contact the IRS by visiting www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf or call (800) 829-3676.

  • Rural Housing Services (RHS) Grants/Loans: Part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the RHS offers various grants and loans for rural, low-income elders. RHS Section 502 Home Ownership Loans may be used to rehabilitate, repair, buy, build, or improve rural homes and related facilities. RHS Section 504, the Very Low-Income Housing Repair Program, provides loans and grants to very low-income persons 62 years and older to repair, improve, or modernize their dwellings or to remove health or safety hazards. To locate the local Rural Development area offices, visit www.rurdev.usda.gov/recd_map.html. To learn more about the USDA Rural Housing Services programs, visit www.rurdev.usda.gov/rhs/Individual/ind_splash.htm or call (530)792-5820, (530)792-5848 (TDD).

  • State Assistive Technology Programs: Offer Loans/Grants for people with disabilities and their family members. Visit www.homemods.org/pages/statefunding.html for your state contact information.

  • Veterans Administration: The Veteran's Administration (VA) offers programs that pay for lifts. For more -information contact the VA Office at 1-877-222-VETS or http://www.va.gov.


google-site-verification: google9d353879aca40daa.html